Bike Climb Up Equinox Manchester Rotary 2009 Pat Smith, President Lyme Disease Association, Inc.
Bike Climb Up Equinox Manchester Rotary 2009 Pat Smith, President Lyme Disease Association, Inc. !
- Thanks to the Manchester Rotary !
- Thanks to you for being here today.
- Part of the team.
- Seeking a cure for Lyme disease !
- Lyme disease has increased in VT
- 1993 12 cases
- 2007 (138) 31% over 2006 (105)
- 2007 1050% over 1993 cases
- CDC says 10x reported cases 1380 cases/2007/VT !
- Nationally 2007 saw about 274, 440 new cases develop !
- Lyme now in 65 countries worldwide !
- Children 5-9 & 10-14 at greatest risk of acquiring the disease !
- One bite of the deer tick can cause Lyme & anaplasmosis babesiosis bartonellosis tularemia powassan encephalitis tick paralysis !
- One bite of the lone star tick can cause STARI ehrlichiosis RMSF tularemia tick paralysis !
- One bite of the American dog tick can cause RMSF ehrlichiosis tularemia tick paralysis !
- The tests for Lyme are unreliable, about 40-60% accuracy o You can test negative and still have Lyme disease. o Lyme is meant to be a clinical diagnosis made by a physician, with testing as an adjunct. ! Some tick-borne diseases can be transmitted through the blood supply, o Like babesiosis, a malaria like illness you can get from the deer tick o Lyme disease has not been shown to be transmitted through the blood supply, however, it can survive blood banking processing and o A recent CDC study showed it can be transmitted thru transfusion in mouse model o There is no screening for Lyme disease in the blood supply ! Tick-borne diseases are serious o Lyme can get into the brain less than 24 hrs after a tick bite o Lyme bacteria can cross the placenta and cause death of the fetus o Lyme can progress and cause severe arthritic, neurologic and psychiatric problems o Several TBDs have high fatality rates, especially if untreated !
The government is spending only 27.4M on Lyme disease 9that’s CDC/NIH combined ! Bill HR 1179/S1352 100M/5 years o 76 House, 6 Senate Not one VT congressman or senator has signed o Pls go to LymeDiseaseAssociation.org get info, call your legislator today