As you know, Dr. Jones has already faced medical board charges and had sanctions and a fine levied against him. The actions of the Connecticut Department of Public Health against him have continued for almost 5 years.
Dr. Jones had a second set of charges lodged against him, and now the hearing to recommend additional sanctions will be held in front of the entire Medical Examining Board. The Board will be voting on the recommendations of the current three-member panel that has been hearing the second set of charges. Attorneys for Dr. Jones and for the CT Department of Public Health will present their oral arguments regarding these recommendations.
The panel is NOT recommending that Dr. Jones’ license be revoked. They are, however, recommending other sanctions which are of tremendous concern:
· A second $10,000 fine (the $10,000 fine levied in the first case has been “suspended,” pending the outcome of the appeal);
· Four years of supervised probation;
· Supervision conducted by a monitor hired at Dr. Jones’ expense.
The current monitor, put in place as a result of the previous charges against Dr. Jones, is responsible for having now made more than 5 new complaints against him.
Action to take
We need a strong show of support for the man who has cared for so many of our children, when other pediatricians have been unable or unwilling to provide proper diagnosis and treatment for them. Dr. Jones requests that you please try to attend the upcoming hearing, and bring as many people with you as you can!
Consequences if Dr. Jones loses ability to treat
· Further jeopardize all Lyme literate physicians’ ability to treat by casting a chill on treatment climate.
· Prevent patients of all ages from receiving appropriate diagnosis and treatment.
· Negatively impact the future of so many children who depend on Dr. Jones for appropriate care.
The Lyme community needs to take a united stand to preserve the rights of doctors to treat and patients to be treated. Come and be counted!